Monday, December 29, 2008

Doolitttles (Orig.): What don't they do well?

Love this place. Been there 20-30 times.

This particular time, I ordered a Blue Cheese burger, in my typical medium-rare fashion. The burger arrived timely. It didn't fly, the stewardess brought it promptly. She then proceeded to drool all over Carrie's ring (extra tip forthcoming for THAT move), then told us, as usual, all the of the domestic ales were not eligible for happy hour pricing.

Okay...so it's not like I really give a damn about saving $2 on a draft. But what I DO care about and what INCESSANTLY pisses me off is when a drinking establishment categorizes Summit - brewed about 20 minutes away - as a "non-domestic" beer. How dumb are we? I digress....

The burger was wonderful. 1/2 pound, grilled perfectly. The bun - wonderful also! Buttered, ciabatta bread, grilled, and a nice little stack of skewered veggies piercing through both. This blue cheese burger came fully equipped with two large slices of applewood smoked bacon. And the bacon was cooked *perfectly*.

The fries....not the best, but the best I've ever had Doolittle's cook them. I like my fries well-done. Especially if they're steak fries. These fries are slightly smaller than true steak fries, and these were well done. In the past, Doolittle's has served them somewhat similarly to how you'd serve a piece of baked potato. And that's weak.

Though we usually order wine at Doolittle's, we did try the Summit Winter ale (See the Buffalo Tap post for my thoughts on this one.) Doolittles has a decent ale selection, and a good wine selection, though the wine is overpriced. I can live with marking up a bottle 100%...but 150%? Please. That's just bloody lame.

BARF tolerance score:

Burger: 8 of 10.
Ale Selection: 5 of 10.
Red Wine: Selection: 6 of 10 / Price: 3 of 10.
Fries: 4 of 10 (Good...for Doolittle's.)

~Orb

No comments:

Post a Comment